Whether you're scouting a birthday or Christmas gift for the string player in your life or just looking to treat yourself, this list is full of gift inspirations that any string player will love!
1. Set of new strings - Strings have a significant impact on the tone of an instrument. They need to be replaced every so often, and it's always handy to have some spare in case a string snaps. A new set of high-quality strings make a great gift. I recommend Larsen, Thomastik-Infeld, Pirastro, and D'Addario strings.
2. Rosin - If you're looking for a small gift or stocking stuffer, rosin is an accessory that no string player can go without. There are countless options out there, but I recommend Bernardel, Melos, or Pirastro rosin.
3. Music stand - Almost all string players use a music stand to support their sheet music. You can purchase a durable stand such as this Manhasset Music Stand for home practice, or a portable stand such as this Crafty Gizmos Adjustable Folding Music Stand with Carrying Bag for traveling to rehearsals and gigs.
4. Music stand light - A light that can attach to a music stand is a perfect gift for a string player. They're useful for practicing and performing in rooms with dim lighting. I recommend the Mighty Bright Orchestra Light, which can either be plugged in or run on batteries.
5. Erasable pens - Musicians usually write in their music scores with pencils because it's important to be able to erase markings if need be. An erasable pen provides darker, more legible markings while still being able to erase any mistakes. Pens are also beneficial because they can come in different colors, which is great for color coding notes and markings. I recommend a colorful set of Pilot FriXion Erasable Gel Pens.
6. Practice journal - Many musicians benefit from using a practice journal to stay organized. I recommend checking out this helpful Practice Journal, or simply buying a new blank journal or notebook.
7. Tuner - Keeping an instrument in tune is an essential part of practice and performing. Tuners are especially important for beginners who are new to tuning their own instruments. I recommend purchasing a Korg tuner.
8. Metronome - A metronome is used to help musicians develop their rhythm, and is an important part of home practice. I recommend a Dr. Beat if you're looking for a heavy-duty metronome with lots of features.
9. Recording device - A high-quality recording device is helpful for recording performances and auditions, as well as using as a practice tool. I recommend a small, portable device such as a Zoom recorder.
10. Headphones - All musicians would appreciate some new high quality headphones. Over-ear headphones are typically better for sound quality and noise rejection than earbuds, and are also less likely to cause noise-induced hearing loss. I love these Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H6 Headphones because of the sleek design.
11. Instrument care kit - It's important to keep a valuable string instrument in good condition. You can find pre-made care kits such as this Glaesel GL3982 Violin/Viola Care Kit, or make one yourself by assembling a gift basket with items such as peg paste, varnish reviver, string instrument humidifier, alcohol wipes (for cleaning strings), and a microfiber polishing cloth.