NOW ACCEPTING NEW STUDENTS OF ALL AGES AND LEVELS!
Each student in my studio receives a weekly private lesson in Santa Barbara, California. The length of the lesson depends on the student's age and level, ranging from 30 to 90 minutes. In addition, my students have the option to participate in studio events such as group classes, masterclasses, and recitals at no additional cost. The group classes consist of students of all levels playing cello repertoire and ensemble music together. The masterclasses are taught by a highly regarded guest instructor invited to give my students a fresh perspective on their playing. The recitals allow my students to perform for their friends and family in a more formal setting. These events give my students the opportunity to experience playing in an ensemble, make new friends, develop performance skills, and get inspired by their peers.
I use an organized grade structure that helps inform my students of their level, provide them with motivation, and celebrate their progress. To pass a grade and receive his or her diploma, the student must play all of the graduation requirements in a performance. The graduation performance can be held in a lesson, group class, master class, or recital, and will be recorded and evaluated by the student and myself in the preceding lesson.
Upon beginning lessons with me, each student will receive a folder that includes a list of all the required music scores for each grade and a practice log. The practice log is for recording practice sessions, goals, and lesson notes, and can be filled out by the teacher, student, or parents of a young child. Parents of children under the age of ten are strongly encouraged to sit in on lessons, as well as their child's practice sessions throughout the week. It can be very difficult for a child to progress without commitment and encouragement from a parent.
In my experience as both a learner and teacher of music, the interaction between the student and instructor can influence and alter a person’s life. Therefore, I believe that the teacher must respond to each student individually in order help the student discover his or her own unique, authentic musical identity. I work with each student's passions and goals to help them find the path that works for them. I hope to foster within my students a deeper understanding of themselves, not only in their relationship to music, but as human beings.
Free Interview and Consultation
Our first meeting is free so I can get a feel for your playing and decide which grade you are best suited to begin. This will also be an opportunity for you to ask me any questions you might have. Please bring your cello and be prepared to play a short piece or excerpt (unless, of course, you are new to the instrument). To schedule an interview and consultation, please submit an application.
Rates and Policies
Monthly cost of private lessons:
Weekly 30 minute lessons = $215/month
Weekly 45 minute lessons = $260/month
Weekly 60 minute lessons = $300/month
Weekly 90 minute lessons = $390/month
- Private lessons, group classes, masterclasses, and recitals are all included in tuition.
- At-home lessons are available for an extra fee depending on the location of the student's home.
- Tuition may be paid monthly or in larger increments.
- Tuition is due on the first lesson of the month, and I reserve the right to charge a $15 fee if tuition is received late.
- You can make your lesson payments with cash, check, or PayPal (email@example.com).
- In case of a conflict, you may arrange to reschedule your lesson.
- There will be no refund for missed lessons. You must contact me at least 24 hours in advance to reschedule your lesson, or it will be considered a missed lesson.
- Because life happens, we can schedule a make-up lesson if the student or I has a sudden illness or emergency.